Psalms Reading Guide
Join us as we read through the Psalms!
Psalms is a book of ancient prayers and praises to God. The psalms teach us how to pray, rejoice, lament, and hope. They are songs filled with comfort, truth, and worship, written by kings and worship leaders in ancient Israel. We need to hold fast to the promises God’s given us in his word, turning our hearts and minds towards him. As a church, we want to unite ourselves around these truths of God and orient our hearts around his faithfulness.
(readings are automatically checked daily)
Resources for Further Study on Psalms
If you would like to dive deeper into Psalms, here are some resources. There are resources for all ages, babies to adults.
- The Songs of Jesus, by Timothy Keller
- Life Lessons from Psalms, by Max Lucado
- Reflections of the Psalms, by CS Lewis
- Psalms, the Prayer Book of the Bible, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Open and Unafraid: The Psalms as a Guide to Life, by W. David O. Taylor
- https://fullerstudio.fuller.edu/resources-exploring-psalms/ (includes a vast list of books about the Psalms)
These websites allow you to read Scripture and to study it by providing access to a variety of commentaries, concordances, and dictionaries.
A Study Bible is a great way to learn more about Scripture while you are reading it. Study Bibles contain notes on context, original languages, hard to understand concepts, and connections to other parts of Scripture. Here are some we like.
- ESV Study Bible
- CSB Study Bible
- CSB Baker Illustrated Study Bible
- Life Application Study Bible
- NLT Illustrated Study Bible
- NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
We want your kids to join with us in reading the psalms too! Here are a few books and resources for them, for kids of all ages.
- Psalms for Young Children, by Marie-Helene Delval and Arno
- Psalm Prayers for Kids: A 40-Day Prayer Journey, by Sarah Keeling
- Psalms of Praise (Baby Believer Series), by Danielle Hitchen
- Spark Story Bible Psalm Book:Prayers and Poems for Kids, by Naomi Joy Kreuger
- Psalms for Little Hearts, by Dandi Daley Mackall
- The Psalms: A Study for Kids, by Joe Mally
- Psalms for Teens, by Concordia Publishing House
- Prayers Before an Awesome God: The Psalms for Teenagers, by David Haas
(click to enlarge)